1.8 miles from Little Grassy Lake
CORONA VIRUS 2020 (Updated 3/18/20) From Sarah and Spencer:
Hello future/ potential renters: Sarah, Spencer, and Scout here. First of all, during this crazy time, we want you to know that we are committed to providing safe, relaxing getaway for you. Some basic information about the rentals themselves follow.
1. Our rentals are located in a rural area where you have the option to interact only with yourselves. There are neighbors, but there is plenty of outdoor space for you to enjoy at both locations.
2. Restaurant’s and bars are closing tonight at end of day for two weeks. Most restaurants are staying open and doing delivery and/ or curbside. We will list these restaurants below and will provide a list at the rentals.
3. In between guests, we will continue to thoroughly sanitize all linens, door handles, remotes, etc. This is currently our practice as is, but will be extra vigilant during this time.
4. Antibacterial hand and dish soap are provided at the rentals.
5. We will limit our visiting with guests unless you need us to bring you something, or you would like a fire built, etc. We will remain in contact via text/ Airbnb messaging. Our numbers are provided via the app (once you book, you have the option to call us) and if you can’t reach us by phone- shoot a text and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
6. Cancellation policy:
We will be following our "Moderate" Cancellation policy while following VRBO's guidelines for cancellations that fall within the dates of 3/13/2020 and 4/30/2020:
Travelers who cancel at least 30 days before check-in will get back 100% of the amount they've paid. If they cancel any later than 30 days before check-in, they'll get back 50% of their fee, OR can choose to reschedule for no additional fee. We will simply move your stay to your chosen dates, and will allow you 90 days to choose new dates (your rescheduled stay does not need to fall within 90 days- it just needs to be booked during this 90 days).
What we (VRBO/ Home Away) are doing as part of our COVID-19 emergency policy
• A full refund of our fees: We are refunding 100% of the money we make through traveler service fees when you must cancel a trip due to COVID-19, whether the cancellation is government-mandated or because you’re prioritizing the health of your family and loved ones. This is in effect for all stays booked before March 13 with a stay night between March 13 and April 30. You don’t have to do anything to collect the refund, it will happen automatically over the next two weeks. No need to call and confirm.
• Minimum of 50% refund: We have notified partners to abide by our COVID-19 emergency standards, which set a 50% refund minimum if different stay dates cannot be found, in order to avoid penalties in our marketplace. This is applicable for all canceled stays with a night that falls between March 13 and April 30, 2020, even on trips that are outside the set cancellation policy.
• Credit for future dates: We are asking partners to offer a full credit for different stay dates within the next year (at no additional cost). If you are unwilling or unable to accept the credit, we advise working with our partner on an acceptable refund, and we have incentivized our partners to go above and beyond their standard policies. The more our partners are able to do for travelers, the more Vrbo will reward them with future bookings.
What we don’t cover
Please be aware that our Book with Confidence Guarantee is designed to protect you from fraudulent listings and misrepresentation. It does not cover cancellations due to events outside of our control such as disease or government actions.
We strongly recommend that all travelers, owners, and property managers follow health and safety information from health officials as well as travel advisories from local authorities.
Nestled in the Crab Orchard Wildlife Refuge, located on the Shawnee Wine Trail, The Refuge Cottage offers a perfect place to enjoy beautiful Southern Illinois. Enjoy hiking along scenic forest trails or drop a kayak in a nearby lake! Discover locally made wine, beer, and spirits, or check out the food scene- all within driving distance. If you need a recharge, stay in and read in front of the fireplace, relax in the hammock, or sip coffee on the screened in porch and enjoy the solitude.
**NOTE** Recreational Marinuana is legal in Illinois! Check out the guidebook on dispensaries for more info or shoot us a message! We are “420 Friendly” but just ask that when partaking in any manner that may create an odor (smoking) you do it outside or on the screened in porch.
Also- The Refuge Cottage is still being updated, and there are a few things that we are still working on- things like new windows, finishing trim, touching up paint, etc., but it is all functioning and cozy, and ready for guests! Updated photos and amenities will be added as soon as it's ready!**Check out or other listing, THE REFUGE BUNGALOW to check out reviews as hosts- you'll find out that you can take our word for it!**
The rustic yet modern feel of the Refuge Cottage will instantly set you at ease and make you feel at home. Set toward the end of a small neighborhood in the woods, surrounded by the Crab Orchard Wildlife Refuge, you'll experience the solitude you're looking for on your vacation!
Our neighborhood is small, and the neighbors are amazing- we are sort of a small family on our own. If you see Faye outside waving at you, stop and chat- it will make her day, and she has a lot of great information on the history of the neighborhood itself. We just ask that you be respectful of our neighbors by driving slowly each time you go down the lane, keeping loud music/ noises to a minimum after 10, and not littering.
With a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and 2 bedrooms, the Cottage is perfect for a quick getaway or a longer stay. "Dorothy's Room" features a queen bed. "Jack's Room" features two twin bed, and the living room has two (comfortable- I promise!) Futons that cold down into full size beds - plenty of room for a group or a getaway with friends! We don’t charge for extra guests, and we have no issue with air mattresses or anything being brought In. Both rooms feature ceiling fans with remotes, closets, and cozy bedding!
The living/ dining area gives you the perfect, cozy spot to relax in front of the gas fireplace- just flip a switch for instant ambiance. Pop in a DVD, play a board game, or check out one of the local activity guides to plan your stay.
The bathroom includes a full size tub/ shower, lighted vanity, pedestal sink, and of the...ummm.. throne. Towels, toilet paper, and assorted amenities are included for your convenience.
The open kitchen is perfect for preparing meals while still enjoying your party. A full sized fridge and oven/ stove, sink, and plenty of cabinet space allow you to cook a gourmet meal or make a quick snack. We provide all the kitchen utensils and pots and pans that you may need! Basics such as flour, sugar, salt and pepper, etc. will be ready for guest use! The kitchen also includes a stackable washer and dryer. Laundry soap and dryer sheets are there if you need to was a load of clothes, or just a few items.
The screened in porch is the perfect place to hang out without having to worry about mosquitos or rain. Relax, enjoy your meal, or just sit and enjoy the sounds of nature.
The "Creek Deck" as we call it, overlooks a small creek and is our favorite spot! It overlooks a small creek and provides great background noise after a rain! An outdoor table with seating for 4 and umbrella make it a great spot to spend time. Relax in the hammock nearby, or make a campfire and roast hot dogs or marshmallows.
Across the road, you can check out Devils Kitchen Lake. There is a kayak drop in (ask us about our kayak/ canoe rentals), paved roads that are perfect for a walk or bike riding, and a great spot next to lake for a picnic. Plus, you may get to see the geese that call the lake home holding traffic up.
Down the road, you can check out Little Grassy Lake. There's a spot that's perfect for pictures, a secret swimming spot, and a marina where you can rent pontoon boats for the day!